Monday, March 26, 2012

Pitt in the CBI Finals

Man, I haven't updated this blog in over a week. That cold I was telling you about in my last post was/is an absolute bear. I don't even think it's a cold. A cold would be like a walk in the park compared to whatever this is. I had a fever, brutal cough, sore chest, the works. I'm still only about 80%.

But you don't want to read about my problems. You want to read about Pitt's basketball problems.

The Panthers advanced to the finals of the CBI tournament with a 68-62 overtime win at Butler last Wednesday. I found myself listening to it on the radio, and I actually got into it. I even surprised myself. It kind of reminded me of a Steelers game at the end of the year when they have everything wrapped up. I always tell myself that I'm not going to get into the game, but I always do.

That's how I felt on Wednesday when I listened to the closing moments of the game between Pitt and Butler. There was no reason for me to want the Panthers to advance to the finals of the CBI other than pride. And what pride could one get out of that? No matter what Pitt does the rest of the way, it's going to be hard for even the most loyal fan to really celebrate, and yet, there I was.

The main reason why I had to turn on the radio is because I couldn't find the score anywhere online other than an old score that hadn't been updated since halftime. That is how far off of the radar the CBI tournament is. The Yahoos of the world didn't even bother posting it on their "full" scoreboard.

If Pitt defeats the Washington St. Cougars in the finals, what sort of celebration will there be? I know Pitt's radio team headed by Billy Hillgrove and Dick Groat will go nuts. You should have heard those two on Wednesday as they reacted to what they thought was some real home-cooking in favor of Butler. They have CBI fever.

As for the rest of the Panthers, I wonder how they'll react. I wonder how the fans will react.

I guess it would be more rewarding if it was a grueling 16-team field, but Pitt was/is clearly the best team in the field.

Pitt begins their "quest" for the CBI title tonight in Washington St. It's actually a best of three format for the finals (that's right), with the last two to be played at the Peterson Events Center if necessary.

I guess that means Pitt is the higher seed.

Bring it home, boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment