Monday, November 29, 2010

Watching the Steelers/Bills game with my girlfriend

I initially had a more manly title in mind for my post-game thoughts on the Steelers overtime win in Buffalo yesterday.

I was going to title it "Methodical." That's pretty manly, don't you think?

I thought of it while taking a quick shower during halftime of yesterday's game. The Steelers were ahead, 13-0, and I was feeling really confident.

Who could blame me? The Bills weren't a good team to begin with, and Pittsburgh outplayed them every which way possible in the first half. They led in time of possession, 23:55-6:05. First downs were 18-4 in Pittsburgh's favor, and total yardage was a whopping 225 to Buffalo's 51.

It was about as dominate a half as I've seen in a while.

I won't lie, the Steelers dodged a bullet or two in the first 30 minutes.
Namely, the illegal contact call that nullified a Hines Ward fumble in Steelers' territory that could have altered things a bit.

And a larger point-total would have been nice considering the yardage accumulated, but with this offensive line, the offense will have trouble scoring some points from time-to-time. It's just how it is. Nothing can be done about that right now.

All things considered, though, I was happy. The defense was shutting down the Bills' offense and Pittsburgh's offense was actually taking advantage of Buffalo's league-worst rush-defense as Rashard Mendenhall had 65 yards rushing and a touchdown.

Things continued to go well for the Steelers in the 3rd quarter. Ryan Fitzpatrick had the Bills moving a bit on Buffalo's initial second half drive, and they made it deep into Steelers' territory but fumbled the ball back to Pittsburgh.

About the time the Bills got the ball back again, my girlfriend texted me and asked if she could come over and hang out with me. I was in a good mood and figured it would be fun. The game was going to be a blow out and I could enjoy a nice, relaxing final quarter and a half watching the Steelers and spending time with my sweetie.

But just like that, the complexion of the game changed on one play. Or should I say, one penalty: Yet another questionable personal foul on James Harrison for leading with the crown of his helmet during a hit on Fitzpatrick. Seconds later, Fred Jackson took a screen pass and went 65 yards to put Buffalo on the board.

Now, I was on edge, and that's when my girlfriend showed up. I tried to be nice and calm initially, but I was just too nervous. I started doing my usual jumping around and screaming and my woman found it highly entertaining.

I paced back and forth as the Bills inched closer with a field goal to make it 13-10. I screamed and cried when Mendenhall fumbled moments later and Buffalo eventually turned it into 3-more points to tie the score.

I jumped up and down when Roethlisberger broke away from a potential sack and raced 18 yards for a crucial first down on 3rd and very long. That set up Suisham's third field goal of 40-plus yards to make it 16-13 with only a few minutes left.

Buffalo took advantage of a substantial kickoff return and a very selfish personal foul on Keyaron Fox, and eventually had the ball very deep in Pittsburgh territory before Troy Polamalu came to the rescue, yet again, with another highlight-reel interception. All the offense needed to do was get a first down or two and the game would be salted away. They picked up one first down, but a holding penalty on Chris Kemoeatu prevented another and the Steelers had to punt. The Bills drove down field and kicked the game-tying field goal with 2-seconds left. At that point, I unleashed an f-bomb.

I was beside myself and my girlfriend tried to snuggle with me, but I was too hyped-up for that. I needed to pace back and forth.

She told me to relax at one point and said it was just a game. JUSTa game? Surely you can't be serious. You mean like it's not life or death? It felt that way to me, and I acted like it. But I can't help it. You want the calm, rational Tony during a Steeler game, catch me in August or September. Maybe even into October, but once you get into late November and I can smell the playoff possibilities, I turn into an animal. In fact, she called me a monster. I can't deny it. Just throw me in a cage and feed me raw meat. Just make sure there's a television near-by.

Anyway, the Bills won the toss in overtime, and almost immediately won the game. The kickoff returner, I don't know his name, had clear sailing up the middle, but since these were the Buffalo Bills, one of his own players ran into him and knocked him down near midfield. Fortunately, the Bills did nothing with their first drive. Pittsburgh was backed up, I'm sure there were more penalties on the offensive line, but I don't know for sure. Naturally, I saw my life flash before my eyes when Roethlisberger was sacked at the one-inch line and almost coughed the ball up. And when Sepulveda lined-up right at the back of the endzone to punt, my heart was in my throat. I had visions of him accidentally taking a step backwards and losing the game on a safety. At the very best, I figured Buffalo would get the ball near midfield, but Sepulveda unleashed the punt of his life. It had to travel 65 yards in the air. Buffalo's return man caught the ball at his own 40 yard line and went to make a move, and was stripped of the ball by Keenan Lewis. There were nothing but Steelers converging on the ball and I kept screaming, "fumble! Get it! Get it!" They couldn't hear me. Some how, a Bills player recovered the fumble and Buffalo had it at their own 34 yardline. Not as good as the Steelers having it, but at least they weren't in immediate field goal position like I initially feared. They did work their way to the Steelers' 40 yard line, and then on a play action pass, Fitzpatrick let loose on what should have been the game-winning touchdown pass to Stevie Johnson. Johnson was wide open. Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark were both totally screwed. The pass hit Johnson right in his hands, and fell to the turf. Well, that's why Buffalo is Buffalo.

Pittsburgh got the ball back and drove downfield to set up Shaun Suisham's 4th 40-plus yard fieldgoal of the game. This time it was a 41 yarder, and it was a no-doubter the moment it left his foot. Pittsburgh escaped with a 19-16 victory. Ironically enough, I didn't celebrate much when the kick went through the uprights because I thought that maybe Buffalo's coach, Chan Gailey, had called a timeout. I hate that rule, but I digress.

Anyway, I don't have much of a problem with how yesterday's game went. I know people are concerned with certain areas like the defense's ability to hold leads late. But, it's like I said, they almost seemed to go into a shell after that call on Harrison.

And that brings me to another area of concern: the amount of penalties. Once again, 100 yards in penalties for Pittsburgh in yesterday's game, including 4-holding penalties on Chris Kemoeatu. However, I think at least two of those holding penalties were ticky-tacky at best. And don't get me started on the Harrison personal foul. The damn referee was standing there with his hand near his flag waiting to pull it before Harrison even made contact with Fitzpatrick. I don't think the Steelers play has been undisiplined lately, I just think, for whatever reason, they're not getting the benefit of the doubt on close calls the last two games. By the way, was Buffalo called for holding once all game? I do not recall.

I know Pittsburgh got some breaks yesterday, but it was nice to see them pull it out. It was their 2nd overtime win of the year, and was the kind of game they would have lost last year.

The win sets up a first place battle at Baltimore next week. If the Steelers win, they'll be one-game ahead of the Ravens with only four games left. If they lose, it would be damn-near impossible to win the division. They'd only be a game back in the standings, but they'd essentially be two-games out because of being swept by the Ravens this season.

No matter who wins, it'll probably be a 3-point game. My girlfriend better watch out. The monster will be unleashed once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment