Friday, October 12, 2012

Recent Stuff I've Done for Behind the Steel Curtain

Ever have one of those weeks where you feel like you're really good at some of the things you're passionate about? As someone who bowls and plays volleyball quite regularly, I've had many moments over the years when I felt that I really "got it" when it came to those two hobbies of mine. However, much like life,  I also have my low moments with those two sports, and I often wonder if I'll ever get any better at them.

I shared those thoughts with you as a way to introduce these thoughts: I think I kicked ass in blogging this week. The editor of Behind the Steel Curtain asked all the main writers to help him out a bit more because of the short week before the Steelers Thursday night game against the Titans. I hadn't planned on writing so much for the site this week, but I managed to publish a post three days in a row. Maybe it was just a sub-conscious thing derived from his asking for some help, maybe it was just because I was in a high-energy mode all week, or maybe it was just because I had a lot of ideas to share about the Steelers, and this was the perfect week to do it.

I can't answer that question.

But I can state that I feel like I'm in a writing groove this week, and it's just coming to me so easily. That's actually quite a welcome feeling because there are few things that bring me more joy than writing. It's also a welcome feeling because it's not always so easy to translate thoughts and ideas into words on a screen. There have been plenty of times where I've sat in front of my laptop and literally spent hours writing what I thought was crap. Was it crap? I don't know, but it sure felt like it because of how long and difficult it was for me. This feeling could return in an hour, or it could never return again. However, much like volleyball and bowling, I get the feeling I'll be experiencing my share of "writer's block" in the near-future, so I better enjoy this while I still can.

With that in mind, here are some of my recent postings on Behind the Steel Curtain.

This season, the New Orleans Saints are the host team for the Super Bowl, and they're currently 1-4. If you're surprised by that, don't be. It's actually quite freakishly common for the Super Bowl host teams to do poorly during the regular season and have absolutely no chance at earning the greatest homefield advantage in Super Bowl history. I wrote something about it on BTSC a few weeks ago, and it didn't get much of a response, but I think it's very fascinating. Check it out.

Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons wasn't stepping it up for a very long time, and many Steelers fans thought he needed to in order to keep the defense playing at the high level we're all accustomed to. Well, I wrote a little something about it. It got a nice reaction, including 75 "likes," and I was damn proud of myself. Oh yeah, and Timmons stepped it up like crazy in the Steelers victory over the Eagles.

 Running back Rashard Mendenhall returned to action last week after recovering from an ACL tear in January, and he proved just how valuable he is to the team's ground attack.

Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham struggled a great deal in 2011, but this season, he picked up his game to the point where he was 8 for 8 through four games--including the game-winner against Philadelphia last Sunday.

The Steelers have been a sloppy football team on the road both this season and last. I wrote this with the anticipation that the Steelers would get their first "clean" road victory in quite sometime. As it turned out, they didn't get a clean or "dirty" victory and lost, 26-23, to the Titans. I guess it was the thought that counts.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment