Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Pittsburgh Pirates: Would you rather see them win one World Series or appear in several?

Yesterday on Behind The Steel Curtain, I wrote a piece about NFL teams who were never able to get over the hump and win a Super Bowl despite coming close several times. I concluded the piece by talking about the Buffalo Bills of the early 90's and their four straight Super Bowl appearances without a victory.

Towards the end of the article, I got to thinking, and I posed a question to Steelers fans: Would they rather see the team win one Super Bowl or make it to several without achieving ultimate victory?

Being a life-long Steelers fan, I'm pretty torn over the scenario. Is it great to see your favorite football team win a Super Bowl? You better believe it. However, I think seeing your team make four-straight even if they all ended in losses would be a pretty memorable ride as well.

But when it comes to the Pirates, I wouldn't even have to think about it. The Buccos have had such a tough time over the past two decades, and the finances of the game have been stacked so high against them and other small market teams, I would sign on the dotted line if some omnipotent figure presented me with the opportunity to see the Pirates appear in several World Series, even if they lost every single one.

Heck, I'd sign my name in blood for that opportunity. I'd sell the naming rights of my future first born just to observe that. I'd get a tattoo on my left.....well, anyway, you get the idea.

What about you? As a Pirates fan, would you rather see the Pirates win just one World Series or appear in several?

Any Texas Rangers fans out there, by chance? They were on the losing end of the last two World Series. Did you consider that a pretty awesome accomplishment, or were you extremely frustrated and heartbroken over it?

No comments:

Post a Comment