Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Pirates acquire A.J. Burnett. Do I like this deal?

After days and days of speculation, the trade of A.J. Burnett from the Yankees to the Pirates has finally been completed.

As a long-suffering Pirates fan, this looks like another case of the team acquiring a once dominant player in the twilight of his career. Like Sean Casey and Matt Morris before him, Burnett was one of the best in the game a few years ago, but after signing with New York, his production slipped considerably, and he was a .500 pitcher during his time with the Yankees with an ERA hovering around 5.

I've been an advocate of going with a total youth movement and saving any veteran acquisitions for a time when the team is really close to contending.

After a 72-90 season, I'm not so sure the Pirates are close. Even if it works out with Burnett, how much of a difference is it going to make in the win/loss record?

I bet my brother that if Burnett is still with the team past the trading deadline, I would shave my head.

What are the chances that I'll have to go out and buy some clippers in August?

No comments:

Post a Comment