Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The NBA All-Star game was played this weekend? I forgot to notice

The West defeated the East, 152-149, in the NBA All-Star game this weekend. How did everything transpire? I don't know, and I haven't really researched anything about the game, but I'll just bet there are some basketball purists who are really angry over the fact that the two teams combined to tally over 300 points.

The NFL and the NHL held their annual all star festivities on the same weekend last month.

I don't remember the score of the Pro Bowl, but I do know that the offensive output almost rivaled that of the NBA game. I also know that commissioner Roger Goodell was not happy with the quality of play in the game.

Really? What does he expect? The NFL has been on this crusade the past two seasons to make the game safer and reduce the number of concussion-inducing hits (and rightfully so), so you would think the last thing the commissioner would want to see is an overly-physical exhibition game.

The score of the NHL All Star game was 12-9. I don't know who won because the NHL doesn't designate its teams by conferences anymore. I forget why. Again, I didn't research it. I suppose I could, but I don't care.

I don't even care about Major League Baseball's All Star game, even though they've gone to great lengths to make it even more important than it should be.

Years ago, to try and calm the outrage of a tie in the 2002 game, baseball commissioner Bud Selig decided to give homefield advantage in the World Series to the team from the league that won the All Star game. I've said this before and I'll say it again: It's one of the dumbest decisions any sports executive has ever made.

And why did he make it? Just so people would actually care about an exhibition game.

I suppose I could go into more detail about why I don't think All-Star games should be played anymore, but much like the players who participate in the games, I'm going to half-ass it.

No comments:

Post a Comment