Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm very much afraid of flying insects

Anyone who knows me is well aware of my very real fear of bees/wasps. However, my fears go even further. I fear most flying insects. When I say "fear", I don't mean that I will run from a Lady Bug or moth, but I'll damn sure look twice and go into my "fighting-stance" whenever one catches my vision just in-case it's a bee that really looks like a Lady Bug.

I've only been on vacation for three days and already have experienced three traumatizing incidents involving scary flying insects.

Saturday evening, I was just chilling, hanging out and enjoying the beginning moments of what I hope will be a glorious week off. However, instead of relaxing right out of the gate, I decided to do my laundry, so I could get it out of the way.

When I entered the small laundry-room in my building, I noticed a creature of some kind fall and hit the ground. When I turned the light on, I saw a spider crawling into the drain located in the middle of the floor. I figured that must have been what fell when I opened the door. I didn't care. Spiders don't scare me, neither do thousand leggers. Whenever one of those multi-legged creatures is in my way, I just flick them into the air like a paper football.

Tragically, it wasn't that spider that fell from the ceiling when I opened the door, it was some huge, black flying thing. I don't know if it was a big moth, a huge wasp or a dragon fly, but I immediately panicked. The insect was flying-low, so I began trying to smash it with my laundry basket filled with my dirty clothes. I must have taken about three whacks at the thing as it flew near the ground, but I don't think I got it. Defeated, I immediately began to retreat back to my apartment. I had lost sight of the flying insect and kept stopping to make sure it wasn't stuck to the bottom of my basket or had made its way into my pile of laundry. Once I made it safely back into my apartment, I still wasn't convinced that the insect hadn't hitched a ride in my basket, so I began to frantically throw my clothes around my kitchen, inspecting every inch of them to make sure I didn't have another resident in my apartment.

I was paranoid the rest of the evening, constantly looking around to see if any big, black furry looking insect was cruising around my apartment.

The next morning, it was playoff-time for my sand volleyball team out at Highland Park, and for whatever reason, there were dozens of bees boring into the sand around the court. I normally hate to rotate out of a volleyball game because I'm quite competitive, but I especially didn't want to on Sunday during the games because the bees were concentrated in the general area where players stand when they're not in the game. I don't know if my teammates noticed this, but I was standing way off to the side every time I had to go out. Let's just say I was always relieved to get back into the contest.

Sunday afternoon had another traumatizing insect encounter. I was over my mom's house, attempting to cut her grass, when these wasps kept dive-bombing my head. I tried to start the mower several times but was too paranoid to continue. Despite my mom's objections, I decided to leave and waited until it got dark before I finally mowed her lawn.

So, there you have it. It's only Tuesday. I have a long week to go. Hopefully, these menacing flying demons won't spoil it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment