Monday, May 16, 2011

13 days to remember (or forget)

Well, I just completed my 13-day work-marathon. This is the time of year my boss goes to Florida and I have to put in overtime. This year was particularly draining and grueling because I started to get sick before I had to start my string of days and I am still somewhat under the weather--suffering from fatigue and a bit congested.

When you work so many days and hours and must keep track of so much, everything is a blur. I didn't know whether I was coming or going half the time. I just tried to get through each day. I just learned to look forward to the little things like the days I started at 11am and could sleep in just a little, or hanging out with my girlfriend.

Speaking of my girlfriend, I just celebrated my 39th birthday and she was certainly the mvp of my special day. She baked me lasagna, sung happy birthday to me with the help of a brownie cake, and bought me season 3 of "The Office" and season 1 of "The Incredible Hulk." Yes, that's right, I love the Hulk. My geeky tendencies go way beyond my obsession with the Steelers. I'll probably be watching re-runs of shows like "the Hulk" when I'm 75 years old and my family will probably think I'm strange. Well, hopefully, by then I'll have my own house and I can tell them that if they don't like it, they can GET OUT! I'm not ashamed to say that I was excited to get season 1. I got back into the show two years ago and I swear, the quest to find season one and complete my collection lasted almost as long as David Banner's journey to find a cure for his affliction. Anyway, it was one of my favorite birthdays and now I'm on the road to 40. I thought maybe this age would bother me a bit, but it really hasn't. Age is something you can't control so there is no point in worrying about it too much. Although, you should probably check back with me a year from now.

One of the things I got to do on my birthday was play volleyball. I was out there running around and diving all over the place and I didn't feel any differently than I did when I was 25. In-fact, I'm probably in better cardio-shape now than when I was in my 20's.

I even managed to fit two arena football games into my crazy schedule over the last two weeks. I'm really starting to enjoy arena football. I mean, don't get me wrong, the quality of play isn't anywhere near the NFL or even big-time college football, but it's still very entertaining. While at the game the other night, I saw a guy in attendance wearing a Pittsburgh Power t-shirt and sporting a Green Bay Packers baseball cap. I didn't know what to make of that. I suspect he was from Greenfield--the hometown of Packer's coach Mike Mccarthy--but I could be wrong.

You ever have one of those periods where everything goes wrong technologically? Friday night, my new cell phone stopped working and I didn't have service for many hours until my girlfriend suggested turning it off and turning it back on. Presto! It worked again. Also, I couldn't access my email at all Saturday night. I don't think I could last without the internet because I couldn't even endure going a few hours without being able to see my email. And the worst part of the weekend was losing about 90% of a story I wrote for Behind The Steel Curtain. I spent about two hours writing it and after I was done, I went over it again to make sure I spelled everything right and realized that I spelled paltry "paultry" and decided to save the draft and go look up the definition of the word just to make sure paultry wasn't a real word and the one I was really looking for. Wouldn't you know it, for some reason, when I logged back on to the BTSC, my 1900 word post was down to 167. I was sick. I really loved that post. I re-wrote it, but I couldn't remember it word-for-word and don't think the second-version was quite as good. Stories are like snow-flakes, you can tell the same story, but the words and tone are never exactly the same every time. Oh well. That's the computer age, what can you do?

That's a little review of my last two weeks. I'm trying to get back into a more normal routine, but I have much catching up to do in many areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment