Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A trip to the dentist or a Steelers playoff game. What causes more stress?

We're about 96 hours away from the Steelers/Jets clash in the AFC Championship Game and I'm pretty calm. You want to know why? Because we're still 96 hours away.

Every time the Steelers go on a run like this deep into the playoffs, I always catch myself wondering why something that I don't have any direct involvement in can stir my emotions so much. But I don't let myself think about it too much because if I did, that might put a damper on things.

I think it's a beautiful thing that an entire community can care about something like a sports team. It might seem trivial to some people, but when you think about it, we spend most of our lives pretty much worrying about ourselves and a nice little playoff run like the Steelers are on is one of the few times people actually root for and care about the interests of other people. Pretty neat.

That being said, I really can't wait for Sunday night to be over. "But the playoffs are fun, Tony. How can you say such a thing?"

Yes, the playoffs are fun, but they're not. Anyone who passionately follows a team knows what I'm talking about. You sit there right before a big game like Sunday's and you think to yourself, "Man, I can't believe I have to put myself through this for the next three hours."

As a sports fan, you always want to see your teams make the playoffs. I know last year, when the Steelers missed out on the postseason, I was sad. I mean, it really sucked.

And this year, when they put together a pretty consistent regular season and eventually clinched a playoff spot, I was happy. Heck, they even managed to earn a bye. Great!

But when you think about that playoff game, even a few days away, you get kind of nervous. And the closer you get to that game, the more you just want it to be over with. Yes, you're excited. You're looking forward to it......kind of.

This last playoff encounter was especially hard on the nerves. For one thing, it was the damn Ravens. The Steelers can't lose to Baltimore in the playoffs. That would just suck. Ray Lewis, John Harbaugh. No way. And the game didn't start out especially well, as we all remember. The Steelers were trailing, 21-7, at halftime. What a nightmare!

Yes, the game turned out in the Steelers' favor. It was a pretty memorable night at Heinz Field, but I don't want to be too entertained in the postseason. I'm always looking for a blow out. To me, that's ideal.

Whenever I predict a score of a Steelers playoff game, it's always a blowout in Pittsburgh's favor. Why? Because even the thought of a nail-biter in the postseason gives me chills. "What if it comes down to a field goal at the end?" Just typing that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Yeah, sure, the epic battle between the Steelers and Ravens this past Saturday was entertaining and highly enjoyable, but that's because Pittsburgh won. Had they lost that game, I wouldn't have thought of it as entertaining. It would have been heartbreaking, and certainly not something I'd want to re-live.

The round coming up is always the worst: The AFC Championship. I just want it to be over. They're so tantalizingly close to the Super Bowl. One game away.

I compare the AFC title game to going to the dentist. Just knock me out and wake me up when it's over. I don't want to feel anything. I just hope it goes well.

The Super Bowl is a whole other animal. I am extremely nervous for that game, just like the other rounds of the playoffs, but seeing your team in the Super Bowl is something that just doesn't happen very often and I want to enjoy every moment of it. I've said this many times, losing the Super Bowl sucks, but seeing them lose the game before the Super Bowl is the worst.

Anyone else feel that way about the postseason? As a fan, are you looking for a close, exciting game or do you wish for a blowout? Like me, do you sometimes find it hard to sit through and just wish you could fast-forward to the end and hope things go well?

Anyway, my prediction for this Sunday's game: Steelers 45 Jets 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment