Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Power of the Internet to Bring Back Some Awesome Sports Moments of Your Youth

The first real memory I have of watching sports is as a seven year old. I sat in front of a little black and white television in the kitchen of my house in Pittsburgh and watched my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers defeat the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl XIV.

Some 30 years later, on my laptop in the kitchen of my Crafton apartment, I watched the network broadcast of that game in its entirety thanks to a Youtube clip similar to this one.

Instantly, I was taken back to my youth, enchanted as I sat there and watched this awesome footage the same way I did as a seven year old.

Thanks to Hulu, I've recently been able to watch some old NFL Films highlight packages of Steelers seasons gone by.

Some of these films I haven't seen since maybe the mid-80's. And if it wasn't for the power of the Internet, I may not have seen them again, save for maybe finding a VHS copy at someone's yard sale.

I think the best part about being a sports fan is re-living the awesome times you had with family and friends as you watched your favorite team win the big game.

People say the Internet is evil, and that it spreads misinformation. Well, while I'll agree that the World Wide Web does have its drawbacks, when it comes to stuff like watching your favorite old television shows, replaying classic songs, and yes, re-living a Super Bowl from many years ago, the Internet can be downright magical and the closest thing we may ever have to a time machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment