Friday, December 2, 2011

Pitt fans who come down on Penn State because of the Jerry Sandusky scandal. According to some people, it's just for spite

I've always been a University of Pittsburgh football and basketball fan. On the football side of things, that, of course, means having a bit of sports hatred for Penn State football. Pitt and Penn State were huge rivals for years before the series stopped being an annual event sometime back in the 90's.

There is still a bit of a rivalry between the two programs, at least when it comes to fans and alumni.

I'd be naive if I didn't think that a certain segment of Pitt fans have gotten a bit of perverted (excuse the poor choice of word) pleasure out of the Jerry Sandusky sexual assault allegations and how it's tainted the PSU image.

However, I don't consider myself one of those fans. Yes, I am not big on Penn State football, and yes, I'm more than disappointed with what went on with Sandusky and his alleged conduct with young boys over an extended period of time, but because I'm a Pitt fan, I'm not allowed to voice my displeasure with Penn State?

I was listening to talk radio on my way to work this morning, and a few PSU alumni and supporters were insinuating that a lot of the people who have trashed the program over the past few weeks are doing so because they never liked Penn State in the first place (Pitt alumni and supporters) and are just using the unfortunate scandal as a reason to pile on.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be guilted into that kind of nonsense. If that scandal happened anywhere at any program, I would be acting the same way and saying the same things with regards to what went on. What happened was not right. A lot of people did a lot of things wrong, and yes, Jerry Sandusky is the real monster, but that doesn't mean that Joe Paterno, his regime and the entire Penn State administration do not deserve their share of the criticism.

As far as I'm concerned, the Penn State supporters who are saying this crap are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

State College has been closed off to the world for long enough. Well, now, because of this, it's going to be under the microscope for a very long time. Penn State supporters better get used to it, and they need to focus their anger in other places.

Leave the football rivalries on the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment