Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Pirates lose a tough one in Houston tonight

Like a lot of Pirates' fans whose passion and pride in the Buccos laid dormant for so many years, I'm finally allowing myself to catch "Pirates Fever" this season as the team has surprised everyone in baseball by being in the middle of the NL Central race.

Unfortunately, that pride and passion often comes with a price when you're a die hard fan. Take tonight, for example. I was on Yahoo following the Pirates' game against the Astros in Houston. Right before I decided to do my kickboxing workout, Pittsburgh was ahead, 4-3, in the top of the 8th inning. The Pirates were trailing, 3-1, earlier in the night so I was feeling confident that they had taken Houston's best shot and would shut things down and bring home the victory.

Well, after my vigorous workout, I anxiously refreshed my Yahoo feed only to discover that the Astros rallied for three runs in the bottom of the 8th inning and defeated the Pirates, 6-4.

Now I'm blue......but that's a good thing.

After so many years of not having a reason to invest my emotions in the local baseball team, it's refreshing to actually live and die for every game.

Last night, my girlfriend left for Myrtle Beach, and she was very upset when she said goodbye to me because we won't see each other again for another nine days.

Part of me was upset because she was upset, but at the same time, it was nice to know that someone cared about me so much.

Same thing with the Pirates. Yes, I am unhappy that they lost tonight's game, but it's nice to have a baseball team to care about again.

Let's Go Bucs!

No comments:

Post a Comment