Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My prediction for the Super Bowl this year: The Steelers over the Philadelphia Eagles

.I predict that our beloved Pittsburgh Steelers will capture their 7th Lombardi trophy and Steeler Nation will be dancing in the streets for the 3rd time in the last 6 seasons. The team they play and defeat in the NFL's 45th edition of Super Bowl Sunday will be none other than our cross-state rivals, the Philadelphia Eagles.

I know what you're probably thinking. You're wondering why I'm picking the Eagles as the NFC representative rather than the defending champion Saints, or the Giants or even the Green Bay Packers. Well, you have a point there, my friends.

I have no real expert analysis to back up my prediction, on either team, really. Well, other than I am a diehard Steelers fan who has been conditioned to expect a Super Bowl championship every year since grade school.

But the real reason I'm predicting the Steelers/Eagles clash isn't because I think they're necessarily the two best teams in the NFL. I think the Steelers are one of the best and certainly a contender, and the Eagles, well, they have Michael Vick.

And if you put Vick in the same Super Bowl against Ben Roethlisberger, well, the entire free world might implode.

You would have a player convicted of killing and torturing dogs quarterbacking one team, and a guy who was accused of sexually assaulting two women quarterbacking the other.

I don't mean to make light of that stuff because they're both very serious issues, but believe me when I tell you, if this were to happen, every media outlet in the world would want to be part of it. The View would probably have a six hour pregame show. Can you imagine Whoopi Goldberg interviewing Big Ben and then walking off right in the middle of her own interview?

Just imagine the protests. PETA would probably hijack the halftime show, and instead of singing, they'd set dogs loose inside the stadium so they could be free and enjoy the game along side their equals, the humans.

Yes, I think this almost has to happen because it would be the public-relations nightmare of all time for the NFL and commissioner Goodell. Roger Goodell isn't the most popular official in professional sports, and he's certainly not a well-liked figure here in Pittsburgh. You combine the conditional 4-6 game suspension imposed on Roethlisberger with the $75,000 that Harrison was fined this week, along with Harrison's threats of retirement.....let's just say I wouldn't want to be Goodell when he gets on the mic to present the Lombardi Trophy to Mr. Rooney in front of the many thousands of Steeler fans that will be in attendance in the "House that Jerry built." And, of course, the Eagles fans wouldn't be in a good mood after seeing their team lose to the Steelers and might also have a few choice words for Goodell.

Goodell, Roethlisberger and Vick? Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia? How can this not happen this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment