Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Super Bowl Paradise

In 2014, the Super Bowl will be played in the Jets/Giants new stadium set to open this year. The game will be played outdoors in a cold weather city for the first time in the history of the event.

It's obvious to anyone who knows anything about economics that the NFL is just throwing the New York market a bone so the league can generate even more revenue. It's the same reason they moved the draft to primetime and why they've considered moving games to pay-per-view.

I hope the ppv never happens and I hope the cold weather Super Bowl is a one time thing.

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but I think the Super Bowl should be played in a warm-weather climate in a beautiful city. I'm not saying New York isn't beautiful, but it's certainly not a tropical paradise.

Fans of the teams will go to see the game no matter what, but I just don't like it. I know it's not a strong argument on my part, but that's just the way I feel.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't even have any Super Bowls in domes with the exception of the Superdome because New Orleans is such a fun city and it's been a tradition since the 70's. But Indianapolis? Minnesota? Detroit? No way.

They should rotate the Super Bowl between California, Florida, New Orleans, and maybe Texas.

Speaking of Texas, the next Super Bowl will be played in Dallas. I was discussing the possibilities of the Steelers regaining their form and making it to that game. What if that happened and what if their opponent was the Cowboys?

I don't want to say exactly what I said, but let's just say that I can think of only one thing more exciting than that.

I don't think I'd be able to contain myself. The two week build up would just be too much.

I mean, the Steelers in the Super Bowl is epic enough. But then you add the Cowboys AND the city of Dallas as the host.

Beating the Cowboys in Jerry Jones' new palace with all those snobby Cowboys fans looking on? I think I'd retire as a sports fan. What could possibly top that?

No comments:

Post a Comment