Friday, April 9, 2010

My Mellon arena memories

You know, I don't really have that many. I was thinking about the number of times I've been to the arena in my day and it's really not that many. I'd say five......maybe.

I remember going there to see Batman and Robin on ice when I was about five years old. And to tell you the truth, I don't even know if it was the then Civic arena or someplace else. I'm not even sure if Batman and Robin were on ice, but I know they were there and I was excited.

Fast-forward to 25 years later and a WWF wrestling pay-per-view. That's my next memory of being there. It was the day after my sister's wedding and about two weeks after 9/11. I was there with my aunt and uncle, my brother and a bunch of other people including this one kid who kept calling Shane Mcmahon a p***y. Security was really tight that day for obvious reasons. The country was still very much on edge. Pittsburgh native Kurt Angle won the belt from Stone Cold Steve Austin in the main-even which was fitting since he was all about patriotism and from Pittsburgh.

I was there again a couple of years later for a taping of WWE Smackdown. Don't really have any memories of that night other than going to the bathroom right in the middle of a pyro-display and being startled but pretending like I wasn't.

Fast-forward again to 2009 and a Penguins game with my sweetie. That's right, I went to a Penguins game, me. It was a fun night and we went to another one a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not much of a hockey guy, but I really do like going to Penguins games. They are much better to watch in person than they are on tv. Sidney Crosby made a pass around three guys right on the stick of one of his teammates and it was something to see. People are right when they say that hockey is much better when you're right there on-top of the action.

It's a shame that I haven't been to the arena that much in my life because I've discovered that I really do like watching sporting events in-doors. I'm not much for the elements and hockey games might be something I do more and more in the future. Besides, my girlfriend is a huge Penguins (SIDNEY CROSBY!) fan and I really don't have much of a choice.

Anyway, sorry Mellon arena for not visiting you much over the years but it's just one of those things. I mean, it's not like I had many opportunities to go when I was a kid. I never really liked the circus and no-way was my mother or grandparents going to take me to any monster-truck shows. And there's no way they were going to take me to see wrestling even though Hulkamania was runing wild all over the nation, brother! I had a chance to see the Pittsburgh Gladiators play for the Arena Football Championship when I was 15 and I blew that off. I didn't attend any concerts as a youth and I never cared much for the Spirit or Pittsburgh Triangles.

At least I have some memories, right? And who knows, maybe I'll get to see a postseason game before you close up for good. That would be a fitting memory to cherish forever.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, what a great tribute to an amazing building! Hehe, and to answer your comment, no, you don't have much of a choice! :) yay for the Penguins and Sidney Crosby!!! I do remember that pass Sid made! It was truly mesmerizing, without question! But he's just THAT incredible! The Penguins do play awesome hockey, and I hope as well we can go to a postseason game! :) Mellon Arena, godspeed!

    ReplyDelete